Saturday, July 17, 2010

3 week curtain project is complete!

As you might remember, I'm in the middle of a huge list of goals to complete before baby #4 arrives beginning of October. As much as my scatter-brain HATES to complete a project before starting a new one, i've made myself keep working on the twins' room. First on the list were curtains since the poor, poor girls have had towels and blankets over their window for at least several months. Anyway, before i get your hopes up, i don't have any pictures of the final project but i thought i'd post a couple of the process that only took....3 (!!!) weeks to complete!oh brother.
This picture was taken the first day i bought the fabric and the black-out lining, laid it out on the ground and then left it for a whole day because i absolutely did not have the SLIGHTEST clue how to start. I'm not much of a sewer, i've never made curtains before and certainly never lined curtains.
It was at some point during this day that i sought sympathy from my husband as i complained that my brain hurt from thinking ....he responded with, "well, meagan, that's probably really good for your brain." Apparently it did do some good because that evening i FINALLY had the idea to google it- such a brainy thought.
 this was a nice, easy part of the project- no measuring and cutting (2 things i'm just horrible at!) just painting. i knew i wanted the curtain panels to hang  by rings like these from Pottery Barn
So, i was so excited when i found a pack of 7 unpainted at Hobby Lobby for only $3.99.

Of course, again i hadn't the slightest idea how to attach them...this very simple question bothered me for at least a full week and it wasn't until i again mentioned it to my dear, smart husband that he casually informed me that i needed "curtain hooks", of course. don't ask me how he just knew that i didn't... he's just great like that.
During the whole process i got bitten by the ruffle bug...i've seen them all over the place in blog land but had never tried to make them myself...do you know how easy and wonderful it is to make ruffles?! It makes me want to put ruffles everywhere and on everything...seriously, the hardest part was figuring out how to make my machine sew a stitch that resembled a basting stitch. It probably took me 45 min.of trial and error before i found the perfect tension/stitch length but once i did it was easy, easy and the end result is great fun.
Here's an almost finished picture- showing where i attached my wonderful ruffle...

 And here are the lovely curtain hooks or "pin-on hooks" as the package reads...it was incredible satisfying to simply pin them into the top hem and then hook them onto the eyelets of the wooden rings...no sewing involved and very little measuring... ;)

I'll try to take a nice picture of the final outcome soon...

1 comment:

Jaimee said...

dearest Meagan,
your curtains are lovely! I can hardly wait to see the final picture... please take one and post it SOON!!! please? :)
I have to tell you that you are so incredible! Really. I mean, I know how to sew, but I wouldn't have thought of such a darling ruffle; and besides that, I wouldn't have even imagined to use those hooks - even though I learned how to use them at the drapery course Jennifer and I took several years ago. I was just reminding her of using them there, and she said, "so that's where I've seen those things before!" :) It was so overwhelming that I think we blocked it out of our minds. SO, thank you for the reminder to use such a great little invention!
Have a sweet night, friend!